Monday, August 03, 2009

You Say It's Your Birthday

This post is a little overdue. Brian and I both had our birthdays last May (4 days apart from each other) and we decided to have a big gathering with our friends, over at The Griffin. For the occasion, I decided to make a cake.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
Personally, I'm more of a white/vanilla cake type person, but Mr. B loves the chocolate.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
Since he got to choose the cake, I got to choose the filling.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
My favorite way to eat chocolate cake is when it's filled with bananas and cream.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
Uhhh, huhhh. Then another layer of chocolate cake. Did I mention this is triple chocolate cake? Chocolate cake, with chocolate pudding, and chocolate chips...
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
... oh yea, and tons of chocolate frosting.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
What's this you ask?
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
Well, it's chocolate frosting with lots of food dye. I spread a thin, even layer of the frosting on some parchment and let it freeze for a bit. In the meantime, I also
melted some white chocolate with red food dye, placed it in this yogurt lid, and let it refrigerate until hard.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
What's the point of all of this? Well... after the black frosting was good and stiff,
I peeled away the top layer of parchment and cut it into a nice circle.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
I did the same with the red chocolate, making a smaller circle within the big red circle.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
And what does this all make?
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
A cake for two record nerds like Brian and myself. I couldn't find my piping bag anywhere, so I made one out of a ziplock bag and messily piped a Happy Birthday.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
The record portion of the cake was a bit frozen and stiff at first, but once it was out for a while, it started to just fit perfectly onto the cake.
Cake I made for Brian's Birthday
Of course, when we got to the bar, I totally forgot to take utensils or plates... but that didn't stop anyone from eating the cake! Bar napkins, hands and mouths were all covered in birthday cake goodness. It was a very memorable night!

No comments: