Monday, January 21, 2008

Quiche Oignon & Cumin (Onion And Cumin Quiche) And The Day My Eyes Broke

Since I'm such a visual person, it's always been my fear that something will happen to my eyes. With that, I can't believe I waited this long to get my eyes dialyzed. Turns out I have Lattice Degeneration in my left eye. I guess it's not serious yet, but I do have to get them dialyzed every year to make sure that I don't have holes in my eyes. Ugh. To top it off, because my eyes are so light, my eyes stay dialyzed for the full 6 hours! It's such a strange feeling, I don't like it. Though, this dialysis brings my mom to visit and fun in the kitchen. For her visit, I decided to prepare Quiche Oignon & Cumin (Onion And Cumin Quiche) from one of my favorite new books, Chocolate and Zucchini, by the talented Clotilde Dusoulier. I started with her Pâte brisée recipe and added some rosemary, thyme and Parmesan cheese to the mix.
Pate Brisee
After chilling and thawing, I fitted the dough into my dish.
Pate Brisee
I then grated part Comté, part Gruyère cheeses. The cheeses were fabulous. I paid quite a bit for them ($18!), but they were possibly the best cheeses I've had.
Cheese Mix
I mixed my onions, egg, cream, cheese, cumin, and bacon, and then poured it into the lightly baked crust.
Before the Oven
After about 35 minutes, I got this sexy piece of food.
After the Oven
Not convinced of it's sexiness?
Quiche Oignon & Cumin (Onion and Cumin Quiche)
Did that change your mind? Well, it was sexy. My mom agreed. The Pâte brisée was especially amazing, it's definitely going to be my default crust for all quiches, pies, and tarts.
Quiche Oignon & Cumin (Onion and Cumin Quiche)
Quiche Oignon & Cumin (Onion and Cumin Quiche)
Cooking with my mom was super fun. I never was allowed to cook with the grown-ups when I was little, they were convinced I was a horrible cook. It's getting fun as I turn into a grown-up myself. My mom is pretty amazing, while I was cooking, she washed all the dishes, my oven, my sink, and mopped the floor in about 5 minutes. I don't know how she does it so quickly, it's like I blinked and my kitchen was spotless.

1 comment:

myteemingee said...

OH DROOOL!!!!!!! That looks sooo professional. And VERY sexy, indeed.... !!
Glad you had some QT with the mom. ;)
m