Sunday, January 20, 2008

Potato Corn Chowder

It's been a while since I've blogged, but I promise I've been crafty each day. I've rediscovered my love of cooking and I've been experimenting in my kitchen a lot lately. Though I haven't been posting, I have been documenting, so pictures will come soon. I don't know if it's just me, but has anyone else noticed the press that Corn Chowder has been getting lately? I think I have at least 2 magazines with Corn Chowder on the cover, so I went for it. Yesterday, my fellow library geek friend, Julian came over for some crafty fun. I made us fresh Sourdough bread and some Potato Corn Chowder.
I made the dough for the bread pretty early on to give it some rising time.
Sourdough Dough
I started the soup about an hour before Julian arrived. First, I grilled about 3-4 ounces of bacon in a olive oil. After the bacon was done, I added 2 chopped onions and let those grill for about 10 minutes.
Grilled Onions
Then, I added some flour, salt, pepper, turmeric, chicken stock, and potatoes. After the potatoes were tender, I added about 4 cups of corn, and about 1/2 cup of light cream. I added some of the reserved bacon into the soup, and kept some to garnish.
Corn and Potato Chowder
It was a tasty spread.
The spread
Topped with bacon, served with fresh Sourdough bread
Besides eating, we somehow fixed Julian's sewing machine! I'm not sure it was ever broken, but either way, we got it to work and that's pretty cool. We also took a trip down to Reform School to attend the opening of Matte Stephensshow. Right now, I'm off to get ready for library-nerd brunch time!

No comments: