Thursday, June 14, 2007

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I was in one of those moods last night, where I really wanted to cook something new and a little fancy. I went to www.allrecipes.com for a little inspiration and came across this recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu. My first instinct was to look away, because I don't think I've ever particularly liked this dish, but it had 681 good reviews, so I went for it.
I stuffed a few chicken breasts with swiss cheese and ham, and let them simmer in olive oil, butter, pinot grigio, and some chicken bouillon.
too graphic?
After they simmered for 30 minutes, I moved the chicken to a new hot plate and poured in a mixture of heavy whipping cream, cornstarch and fresh basil. I know it doesn't look like much, but it made the most fantastic sauce!
The Sauce
I steamed some green beans, with a little butter as a side dish, but I really wanted to keep the flavor of those kind of simple, not to compete with the sauce on the chicken.
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Green Beans
I sprinkled the chicken with some fresh basil to finish off. Brian and I agreed that it was one of our new favorite meals. It was well worth my surprise bouquet of orange flowers...
Flowers

No comments: