Thursday, December 02, 2010

Recycled Book Christmas Garland

iphone_pic
We recently had a huge book sale over at the library. Many things were sold, many things were donated, and some things were candidates for the trash - or in my case, my craft cabinet. Lucky for me there were boxes of promotional copies of the Harlequin Romance Mystery, Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch for my crafting pleasure. The best part is that the text is available online in full pdf here, so it's free of any librarian-cutting-into-books guilt.
Christmas Book garland
I started the garland with cutting multiple strips of the text, approximately 1" thick. I tried to cut off the edges which had no text, just to keep the garland visually full of text. Because my tree has a red bow on top, I decided to string the garland with red embroidery floss, just to give it that extra pop of color.
Christmas Book garland
I loosely folded my strip of text in a wavy "s" pattern, then started to thread it, one wavy strip at a time.
Christmas Book garland
I tried to keep the tightness of the garland somewhat random, but loose enough so that the red thread would show through.
Christmas Book garland
Just a note, I am completely excited about Christmas this year. December just started, but we already have 3 trees (and we're still getting one more...)! Very festive in the Young household, so expect an array of holiday posts this month.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Love love the Siamese kitties!

Kasia said...

It's a very good idea! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

thanks for telling the technique...
recipes

funny life quotes said...

dear you have told it in a very easy way i will must try it.