Saturday, September 27, 2008

Shrimp Scampi, Or Eat Butter!

I love keeping some frozen shrimp handy. It's easy to thaw and tastes good in so many varieties. Ever since my post about stir-fry, I've been making so much of it and experimenting with shrimp and a variety of vegetables including mushrooms, cabbage, onions, and few other things. I love Chinese food, but I let my mind wander into Italian cuisine this week and created this little recipe for Shrimp Scampi.
Shrimp Scampi
Something crazy that I love to do is use low-fat substitutes for absolutely everything I eat, bake, drink, and prepare. Always. Considering I run about 10-15 miles a week, I think I can allow myself to splurge on the real thing for a change. For some reason, I feel so guilty doing it! As much as I wanted to use real, creamy, tasty butter... I went for the calorie free substitute known as I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (spray). One of these days I'll go for the real thing, but I think I have to ease my brain into the concept of it slowly. Maybe start with bits of butter mixed with my no-cal stuff, until I graduate to the real thing. Breaking habits is hard! Anyway, the pasta was fabulous! Who needs real butter!?! Not me...

Shrimp Scampi A La I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
-1 serving of Whole Wheat Pasta
-As many shrimp as you like
- I few tablespoons of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (or real butter!)
-Garlic Salt (or the real thing, if you feel like getting fancy)
-Pepper
-White wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
-Parmesan Cheese

Boil the pasta until ready. In a separate pan mix the faux-butter with the garlic. Add in the shrimp, some pepper, and the wine (I didn't really measure how much wine, but it's really to taste). Cook the shrimp until pink. Drain the pasta, then mix with the garlic/wine mixture. Drizzle on some parmesan cheese and let it melt in with the hot pasta. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments: