Friday, December 22, 2006

Red and Green Low-Fat Enchiladas

I have to admit, I'm not sure if these enchiladas even qualify to be called enchiladas, but the sauce, the cheese, and the tortillas are there... so we'll just call them enchiladas anyways. This has been a favorite dish of mine to make eversince I found La Tortilla Facotry tortillas at Trader Joes. Sometimes finding one good ingredient inspires me to cook a whole meal around it. I love enchilada sauce, so I just drown my cassorole dish with it, and end up with a kinda soupy toritillay thing which tastes pretty damn good.

I cut the chicken in bite size peices and grill them until cooked. Then I just pour them into some green enchilada sauce:
Saucey Chicken

Right before the oven:
Enchiladas before they went into the oven

My friend finished her bowl, but I got full on the sauce.
We eat too fast

Red and Green Low-Fat Enchiladas
1 chicken breast (I usually use 1 big one, but you can use 2 small ones)
4 tortillas (I use La Tortilla Facotry tortillas, but you can really use anything you want)
1 can red enchilada sauce
1 can green enchilada sauce
sour cream (to taste, I usually use approximately 1 tbsp./tortilla)
salsa (to taste, I usually use about 1/2 cup)
cheese (to taste, I usually use about 1/2 cup)
Olives (I don't really like olives, but you can throw a few around if you're into that sorta thing)
toothpicks

1. Cut the chicken into peices and grill until cooked.
2. Simmer some of the enchilada sauce (either green or red, whichever you prefer) and put cooked peices of chicken inside (see image above)
3. Preheat oven to 350
4. line the bottom of a cassarole dish with salsa
5. spread sour cream onto each tortilla, then add some chicken, each color of sauce, salsa and cheese
6. roll each tortilla and secure them with a toothpick
7. pour the remainder of sauces on top of tortillas and sprinkle with cheese
8. cook at 350 until the tops of the toothpicks start to look black (about 30 minutes or so)
9. serve hot in a bowl, with lots of sauce

1 comment:

nicole said...

mmm enchiladas...how on earth can this be lowfat?!

btw, i demand photos of your kitchen!