Friday, February 11, 2011
Homemade Banana Ice Cream
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I have big plans for my Brian. It's our first Valentine's Day as a married couple, which is pretty special -and to top it off, February 13th is the second year anniversary of the day Brian proposed to me! To celebrate, Brian is making me the same meal he cooked for me the day he proposed and I've convinced him to let me take care of dessert this year. Since I've only got dessert to take care of, I'm going all out. Of course, we are somewhat dieting, so I'm trying to make it a little healthier, but still kind of bad. I've been very much into this Banana Ice Cream recipe lately, which is very low in fat and calories, but tastes like we're cheating on our diets, so we enjoy it quite a bit.
3 cups fat-free half and half
1 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1. In a food processor, process the bananas until smooth. Add a pinch of salt.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg substitute.
3. In a sauce pan, heat the half and half.
4. Carefully combine the egg mix with the milk to form a custard.
5. Add the banana mixture to the custard and let chill overnight.
6. After the mix has chilled, add it to your ice cream maker, and enjoy!
Now, just to clarify - this is only step one in the Valentines dinner dessert - there's a lot more to come to the big plans I have for my special valentine. It's going to be delicious, I can't wait!