Thursday, December 04, 2008

Holiday Baking Begins

The holidays have left me baking up a storm in my kitchen. Before Thanksgiving, I went to a multi-cultural potluck/dance party. There was such a great range of cultural dishes, Japanese, Philippine, Swedish, American, and my contribution, Armenian Cheese Boereg. I made this dish a while ago, and I was really starting to miss it. It all starts with a mixture of Mozzarella, Feta, eggs, and parsley.
Cheese Boureg (in progress)
Once that gets mixed, it turns into this lovely, mushy, squishy cheese filling.
Cheese Boureg (in progress)
When taking the fillo out of the package, make sure to cut it in half lengthwise. Use half for the bottom and set aside half for the top portion.
Cheese Boureg (in progress)
Scrunch the fillo and layer with butter.
Cheese Boureg (in progress)
When half of the fillo is done, begin layering the cheese mixture.
Cheese Boureg (in progress)
Spread an even layer of the cheese mixture, then finish off the rest of the fillo dough.
Cheese Boureg (in progress)
When you get to the last 2 layers of fillo, layer those flat, not scrunched. Refrigerate prepared boereg for a few hours (or up to a day) to chill. After chilling, pre-cut the boereg into squares. Mix an egg and some milk, pour over cut squares. Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees, or until golden brown.
Cheese Boureg
I think I used about 2 sticks of butter in this particular boereg.
Cheese Boureg
And it was pretty good!

2 comments:

myteemingee said...

I love how you cut it before you bake it so it's easy to distribute portions and it looks all neat!! I wonder why we don't do this for everything, casseroles... lasagna....? I guess the food has to be chilled/hardened though as part of the process to cut it evenly.

Pam said...

I just stumbled across your blog, and I love finding other bloggers making Armenian food! Your boereg looks fantastic, too!